Hacking My SD Card is full with no games

Dryshean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello ! I hacked my 3DS years ago, so i think now my sd card is full with useless files, and now i want to install ONE game on it but it won't let me because "there is no storage left", for context i have a 16giga sd card and i have zero games on it, anyone had this problem?

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you opened the SD card on a computer to check what it's full of? You can poke around the different folders - is it possible you have some old files on there you forgot?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Dryshean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It says i have 13giga used but i have no idea where they are used ?
And i tried to check every folder but i really don't know what can i keep or delete since it's been that way for years

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poke around and try to find if you have any big files on there

Is it possible you did install a bunch of games already?

Which folder is taking up the most storage? You can check pretty easily in properties on windows to see

Dryshean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't have really big files, and no i litteraly have no games installed :/ if i go in my settings in my 3DS the only thing i see is hack-related "games" :/ (and i'm on a mac and i don't know how to check which files use the most storage ahah) but again when i check i don't see things that takes a lot of storage

Capture d’écran 2024-05-05 à 19.01.26.png

but the only thing that "triggers" me is the fact that the root of my sd card has a very long list ahah

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to also check inside the folders

Also, is dcim filled with tons of photos? That can take up storage

DelfynoDurians

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't just games that take up data, it may be updates or DLC that's marked under Extra Data in the System Settings.
And good to know you're on Mac! If you press the Spacebar when a folder is selected, you can see the file size of everything under the folder. It should look something like this:

Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 13.04.20.png

And yeah that's a lot of root files... Here are the root files on my 2DS to see the difference.
Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 13.08.50.png

Reactions: x65943

Dryshean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need to also check inside the folders
I did ! And nothing that really takes storage too :/

Also, is dcim filled with tons of photos? That can take up storage
I emptied that file earlier today to try to make space ahah it's empty now

And good to know you're on Mac! If you press the Spacebar when a folder is selected, you can see the file size of everything under the folder. It should look something like this:
Thanks i didn't know i could do that ! So i tried on every files and the only one who is "heavy" is the files9 one with 2giga, the rest is 21mo, 900mo, but nothing that really takes a lot of space !

And yeah that's a lot of root files... Here are the root files on my 2DS to see the difference.

omg i have 3 times more files that you lmao but i don't know if it's safe for me to just delete everything that you don't have :/

DelfynoDurians

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omg i have 3 times more files that you lmao but i don't know if it's safe for me to just delete everything that you don't have :/
That's true, I installed CFW on the 2DS very recently so the process was refined from when you did so in July 2017. A good way to test out deleting things is to put a copy of the entire SD card on your computer as a new folder, then delete things on the SD card in parts to test if the 3DS will start up or check if games/badges/extra data are missing.

Dryshean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
At this point i'm thinking of just reset my 3DS, is there a way to just delete everything and hacking it like it's the first time ? So i could clean my SD card and start from 0

DelfynoDurians

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point i'm thinking of just reset my 3DS, is there a way to just delete everything and hacking it like it's the first time ? So i could clean my SD card and start from 0
Mmm you've already installed CFW onto your 3DS so I would not recommend factory resetting it, it could lead to a bricked system. It would be much better to update the CFW, read more here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/checking-for-cfw

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can i just format my sd card without backup ? i just format it and then put the luma back on it?
much smarter to make a copy on your pc first, if everything works later you can simply delete it - but you will have peace of mind

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
much smarter to make a copy on your pc first, if everything works later you can simply delete it - but you will have peace of mind
As the backup reminder – currently unable to do much – I second this.

Please look for an old NAND image. Such a thing could become important.

Maximo101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do what Delphyno said and copy the contents to a laptop or pc before formatting it. Then you can see if everything works after resetting, or you needed some of the files/folders.

Also check the card to see if you have bad sectors or other physical problems before formatting. Maybe time to buy another card..

Reactions: DelfynoDurians

Dryshean

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Update everyone :

I did did a backup of everyting on my computer before formarting the sd card,
I did the formarting, and i followed the tutorial that lone_wolf gave me and it worked ! I'm re-installing only what i use now (jksm and the thing for the plugins)
I'm keeping the copy of my sd card for the moment, to be sure everything works
Thank you everyone for your advices, you all saved my day ! :)

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i'm on a mac and i don't know how to check which files use the most storage ahah) but again when i check i don't see things that takes a lot of storage
1715012330418.png

Old photo, but advice still works. View menu > Show View Options. Towards the bottom, there should be a box to tick to calculate sizes of folders. It's probably turned off by default because it's a lot more work for your computer to look inside all the folders-inside-folders and count everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok