Questions about game loaders on flashcarts

genistopitauniverfrocrami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hi, I've a few questions about nds-bootstrap (particularly on flashcarts) and Wood. I'd appreciate your insights.

Regarding the difference between nds-bootstrap and Wood:

1. Why does nds-bootstrap have lower game compatibility compared to Wood?
  • Does nds-bootstrap just need more RAM to match the compatibility of Wood?
  • Can nds-bootstrap be 'fixed' to achieve similar compatibility?
  • Or, is the lower compatibility of nds-bootstrap due to some fundamental difference in how they work?
2. Apart from compatibility, are there any key differences in how they operate? What are they?
  • For example, does one need different kinds of game patches compared to the other? Etc.
3. Does nds-bootstrap function similarly to Wood in terms of cart support?
  • Must nds-bootstrap be ported to each flashcart individually?
  • Or, can nds-bootstrap rely on tools like flashcart-bootstrap for cart support?

Regarding Wood:

4. Why does Wood need to be ported to every cart instead of just being DLDI patched?
  • Does it use read/write commands directly, or have other baked-in flashcart specific components?
5. Apart from FAT access, are there any flashcart specific components in Wood? What are they?
  • Or, in game loaders in general.
6. What affects the homebrew compatibility of Wood?
  • For instance, why does Wood 1.62 support both the old and new DSFTP, while Wood 1.25 only supports the former?

Thanks for your time and expertise. I look forward to your responses.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've a few questions about nds-bootstrap (particularly on flashcarts) and Wood. I'd appreciate your insights.

Regarding the difference between nds-bootstrap and Wood:

1. Why does nds-bootstrap have lower game compatibility compared to Wood?
  • Does nds-bootstrap just need more RAM to match the compatibility of Wood?
  • Can nds-bootstrap be 'fixed' to achieve similar compatibility?
  • Or, is the lower compatibility of nds-bootstrap due to some fundamental difference in how they work?
2. Apart from compatibility, are there any key differences in how they operate? What are they?
  • For example, does one need different kinds of game patches compared to the other? Etc.
3. Does nds-bootstrap function similarly to Wood in terms of cart support?
  • Must nds-bootstrap be ported to each flashcart individually?
  • Or, can nds-bootstrap rely on tools like flashcart-bootstrap for cart support?
1. nds-bootstrap patches games differently compared to Wood.
  • Not really. The only things that need more RAM are a few DSiWare games, which require a Memory Expansion Pak inserted. Also, certain ROMs which have their sectors fragmented in the SD card's filesystem will also need the Memory Expansion Pak.
  • Compatibility improvements should be possible.
  • Yes, nds-bootstrap works differently.
2. Differences shouldn't be too large, if any.
  • What do you mean by different kinds of game patches?
3. Cart support depends on if nds-bootstrap can properly run a DLDI driver for the specific flashcard.

Regarding Wood:

4. Why does Wood need to be ported to every cart instead of just being DLDI patched?
  • Does it use read/write commands directly, or have other baked-in flashcart specific components?
5. Apart from FAT access, are there any flashcart specific components in Wood? What are they?
  • Or, in game loaders in general.
6. What affects the homebrew compatibility of Wood?
  • For instance, why does Wood 1.62 support both the old and new DSFTP, while Wood 1.25 only supports the former?

Thanks for your time and expertise. I look forward to your responses.
4. DLDI doesn't support reading data via DMA, which can help with game compatibility.
5. What do you mean?
6. That is unknown.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/d7mkQP8