Tutorial  Updated

A definitive way to test if your Switch is patched or not (purchases after 07-2018)

This tutorial uses TegraRCM command line to send payloads to RCM enabled Switch.
Command line is used since it offers a more detailed explanation on what is going on.
So it is a definitive way to confirm if your Switch is patched or not without further questions.
This tutorial does not make any modification to your Switch console.

Requirement:

No Micro SD Card is required.
1. Any way of entering Recovery Mode. Please read here, https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-mods-to-enter-rcm.502145/
2. biskeydump.bin payload(please get the latest version, as of 30th July 2019, the latest version is V9), can be downloaded from https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/
3. TegraRcm GUI, can be downloaded from https://github.com/eliboa/TegraRcmGUI/releases
4. USB C to USB A cable
5. A PC with USB port (Sorry I don't have Mac so I could not cover this area)

Step-by-Step (in total 7 steps):
1. put in your RCM Jig on the right joy con rail. Press and hold Vol+ then press the power button.
You should see a black/blank screen after you press the power button.
If you see a Nintendo logo, you can power off your console and try to adjust your RCM Jig position.

2. To install APX driver
2.1 Launch TegraRcm GUI, go to Settings tab, click on "Install Driver" button.
2-1-1.jpg

Confirm the driver installation.
2-1-2.jpg

2.2 For those having problems installing APX driver :
Install and launch Zadig. Plug your Switch in RCM mode, then select Options > List All Devices.
Select the APX device and check which driver is installed for this specific device. If libusbK is not the current driver, install it.
zadig.png
(This step is copied from https://gbatemp.net/threads/tegrarcmgui-simple-gui-for-tegrarcmsmash.503510/)

3. Plug in USB cable from your PC to Switch(in RCM).
Open TegraRcm GUI and you should see this window with "RCM OK".
3.jpg

Alternatively, you can use Device Manager to confirm if the APX device is recognized.
3-2.jpg

Now you can close the TegraRcm GUI application.

4. Copy biskeydump.bin to the TegraRcm GUI folder.
4-1.jpg

5. Open a command line and go to the TegraRcm GUI folder.
4.jpg

6. Run this on the command line
Code:
TegraRcmSmash.exe -w biskeydump.bin BOOT:0x0

7. Check the result
7.1 Switch accepts and executes payload, which mean your Switch is not patched.
Please refer to 0X7000
working.png

You will also see QR code on your Switch screen.

7.2 Switch accepts but does not executes payload, which means your Switch is patched.
Please refer to 0X0000
not-working.png

Last edited by gnilwob, , Reason: update biskeydump version

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone wants a used console. Also I'd say the chance is way, way higher, given that the patched units only appeared a few weeks ago
They not used,i got 9 switches as today
And all of them brand new. Just in case i rather get a used one on lower fw than a brand new patched!! You already lnow that baby.

Starvin

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting "Smashed the stack with a 0x0002 byte SETUP request!" what does this mean?
I can't get any payload to work. I'm trying to do this on a virtual machine on a mac.

MarzDaindigo

Indigo Marz - No HooX
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got a 0x0000 error...

i can enter rcm fine but after zadig driver install i cant run any payloads

my switch is 4.1 brand new red and blue joycons, ive done my other switch so idk why this on isnt working right im sure it isnt patched

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got a 0x0000 error...

i can enter rcm fine but after zadig driver install i cant run any payloads

my switch is 4.1 brand new red and blue joycons, ive done my other switch so idk why this on isnt working right im sure it isnt patched
A 0x0000 error means the console is patched. The fact that the console is brand new and running 4.1 is additional evidence for this.

Reactions: MarzDaindigo

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you installed driver ?
Turned out my switch was hackable, I ended up ordering a different usb c cable and everything worked out. Got the qr code. My other cable wasn’t showing the apx driver I needed. Good thing too since I had till August 8 to return it to amazon if it wasn’t hackable.

marteen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey,

I tried to test my Switch with biskeydump. The TegraRcmSmash Result is:
Uploading payload (mezzo size: 92, user size: 76328, total size: 142544, total padded size: 143360)...
Smashing the stack!
Smashed the stack with a 0x0002 byte SETUP request!

The payload is not executed and my Switch freezes.
What confuses me is that on the back of the Switch it says: Made in China 2017?! Only tested it via TegraRcmSmash on a Mac via Parallels (Win10).

Thandor

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey,

I tried to test my Switch with biskeydump. The TegraRcmSmash Result is:
Uploading payload (mezzo size: 92, user size: 76328, total size: 142544, total padded size: 143360)...
Smashing the stack!
Smashed the stack with a 0x0002 byte SETUP request!

The payload is not executed and my Switch freezes.
What confuses me is that on the back of the Switch it says: Made in China 2017?! Only tested it via TegraRcmSmash on a Mac via Parallels (Win10).

A guy a few posts over you wrote the same error code and he used a virtual machine on mac too! Perhaps the driver does not work on a mac this way! Can you try a real windows pc?

marteen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A guy a few posts over you wrote the same error code and he used a virtual machine on mac too! Perhaps the driver does not work on a mac this way! Can you try a real windows pc?
I will try it later with a real windows machine. Thanks for the tip.

marteen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I will try it later with a real windows machine. Thanks for the tip.
Hey guys,

I tried with a regular windows pc and it worked! My switch is not patched at all. If you experience the same problem just try it on an other pc and not on a virtual machine!
Thanks for your help :)

D

Deleted User

Just got my 1st patched unit. Wont load any payloads will enter RCM.

Installed trinket and no payload splash screen and straight to ofw horizon. Thought it was a bad trinket so I installed another one with same result. Checked serial and sending payloads with tegra and fail.

Last edited by ,

Khim09

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there anyway to identify a patched switch prior to doing this guide? Let's say I wanna purchase a bnew switch, the sales man would not allow me to do this lol. Is there any way? Like looking at the box, serial no. prefix, etc. TIA.

D

Deleted User

Is there anyway to identify a patched switch prior to doing this guide? Let's say I wanna purchase a bnew switch, the sales man would not allow me to do this lol. Is there any way? Like looking at the box, serial no. prefix, etc. TIA.

Check out the switch by serial thread.

Reactions: Khim09

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why dont you guys get consoles from ebay. Right there is a 85% chance of get old revision switch.

First, there's risk of something being wrong with a used Switch, and it's going to have less battery life less.

Second, it's about sales and stuff. I wanted to get mine from Bestbuy because Bestbuy was giving away a free game with the console, which I plan on exchanging. Also I could use a bestbuy gift card. Ebay prices aren't low enough to match that.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First, there's risk of something being wrong with a used Switch, and it's going to have less battery life less.

Second, it's about sales and stuff. I wanted to get mine from Bestbuy because Bestbuy was giving away a free game with the console, which I plan on exchanging. Also I could use a bestbuy gift card. Ebay prices aren't low enough to match that.
I got you !! True.

LagerX

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, i just use the GUI and sent the payload and i got the QR code and a emote. Then why cant run rajnx or reinx??? on my switch (4.1.0) :( im n00b on this

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if gamestop checks serial numbers? Could you just buy a second used switch, transfer data, return new switch to gamestop instead of the used one. Everybody wins?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==