ROM Hack Fire Emblem Fates: ROM Hacking General Thread

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Yeah, there's plenty of space to work with. If you run out, you can insert bytes at the end of the data region as long as you change where the first pointer region starts in the header - everything past the data region is handled relative to that first offset, so you can move the other regions around pretty easily.
Well, I heavily insisted she leave a lot of FFs for exactly that reason, free space to add more supports, otherwise it'd require more repointing which isn't really that much work, but it's unnecessary steps that can be avoided altogether.

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, the support editor is available here for anyone whose interested. It's still in its early stages though - it definitely needs some more testing before I consider it stable. But if you want to test it out, feel free!

Reactions: Koko-Kun

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, the support editor is available here for anyone whose interested. It's still in its early stages though - it definitely needs some more testing before I consider it stable. But if you want to test it out, feel free!
Cool! So awesome. I wish I could create programs like that to help with my hacking, but I've no skill at coding.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Oh yeah, so you were asking about the dynamic blocks for GameData people, it's actually extremely simple.

First, FID, AID, or MPID labels all don't matter, the only thing that matters is the PID, which is why I used Niles' labels in the example file I posted for Kaden since they were the shortest ones.
Anyways, so basically, you make a normal character block with the stats you want to have, say you make the PID be PID_B_Oboro, on the normal character block, however, instead of using the GameData Character ID, you need to follow the normal enemy Character ID standards (such as 7D 01 for example), then at 0x28 is where you put their actual Character ID.

What happens is, in Dispos you will place the label for PID_B_Oboro, as soon as the unit is spawned, the game sees the Character ID at 0x28, and PID_B_Oboro will be replaced with whoever has the character ID listed at 0x28, but will keep the attributes of PID_B_Oboro such as stats, class, skills, etc.
So for example, in the script, you should never try to make events for PID_B_Oboro, since the PID is a single use disposable label, you can check the B_HANDOVER file from my Conquest swap, and you'll see what I mean.

Do note that if you use this method for kids, they'll correctly inherit everything except Hair Color, it seems this system wasn't made to be used with kids.

Last edited by DeathChaos,

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, so you were asking about the dynamic blocks for GameData people, it's actually extremely simple.

First, FID, AID, or MPID labels all don't matter, the only thing that matters is the PID, which is why I used Niles' labels in the example file I posted for Kaden since they were the shortest ones.
Anyways, so basically, you make a normal character block with the stats you want to have, say you make the PID be PID_B_Oboro, on the normal character block, however, instead of using the GameData Character ID, you need to follow the normal enemy Character ID standards (such as 7D 01 for example), then at 0x28 is where you put their actual Character ID.

What happens is, in Dispos you will place the label for PID_B_Oboro, as soon as the unit is spawned, the game sees the Character ID at 0x28, and PID_B_Oboro will be replaced with whoever has the character ID listed at 0x28, but will keep the attributes of PID_B_Oboro such as stats, class, skills, etc.
So for example, in the script, you should never try to make events for PID_B_Oboro, since the PID is a single use disposable label, you can check the B_HANDOVER file from my Conquest swap, and you'll see what I mean.

Do note that if you use this method for kids, they'll correctly inherit everything except Hair Color, it seems this system wasn't made to be used with kids.

Doesn't sound too difficult, actually. Have you experimented with the FID, AID, and MPIDs at all? It might not be particularly useful, but it would be interesting if you could do something like store a different character in a block using the handover files.

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Doesn't sound too difficult, actually. Have you experimented with the FID, AID, and MPIDs at all? It might not be particularly useful, but it would be interesting if you could do something like store a different character in a block using the handover files.
They don't matter at all, like I said, the game will completely ignore all asset labels since it transforms the character into whoever it finds inside GameData with the ID you list as 0x28.

OldGlass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What portraits would they use? Would you just make your own or get them from the GBA games?

Yeah, either get them from the GBA games, or just look for a random picture of Lyn on Google and crop it into a portrait, unless that's now how it works xD

GermanTacos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What portraits would they use? Would you just make your own or get them from the GBA games?
I believe there are some portraits somewhere for Lyn in Fates style, dunno about Erika though.

EDIT:

7f0.jpg

lyndis_fates_style_by_cometx_ing-d9rhsbb.png

Last edited by GermanTacos,

Sir Diesalot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe there are some portraits somewhere for Lyn in Fates style, dunno about Erika though.

EDIT:

7f0.jpg

lyndis_fates_style_by_cometx_ing-d9rhsbb.png

Hey, that's pretty good!

Going a bit off topic, would the loss in quality be noticeable if I used Ohana3DS to cover up some of the thigh/butt windows and make a romhack to insert them into the game?

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, that's pretty good!

Going a bit off topic, would the loss in quality be noticeable if I used Ohana3DS to cover up some of the thigh/butt windows and make a romhack to insert them into the game?
I don't think the loss of quality would be terrible in that situation. If you're talking about editing the textures rather than the model itself, I think that you'd just have to follow the same process for replacing the textures that you would for replacing portraits.

And I've got to say, I would probably download that hack in a heartbeat if you got it working.

Reactions: Sir Diesalot

Sir Diesalot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I've got to say, I would probably download that hack in a heartbeat if you got it working.

Yes well that heartbeat will be waiting for a long while because of 2 things:
1.) I'm a complete novice to romhacking
2.) I'll be traveling for the next week without access to my computer

But still, I'll try to get it working. And thanks for the enthusiasm!

Grima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, that's pretty good!

Replacing textures with new ones causes them to look extremely glitchy in game. It's not game breaking or anything but it makes them super shiny on top of having the whole thing glitches out.

Grima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was reading the thread that was linked for unlocking the Amiibo without the amiibo units and it said it removed the building limit for MyCastle. Is there a way to do that without replacing our own GameData file?

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I was reading the thread that was linked for unlocking the Amiibo without the amiibo units and it said it removed the building limit for MyCastle. Is there a way to do that without replacing our own GameData file?
It doesn't remove the building limit, but rather, it removes the building requirements to get those characters.

Grima

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, DeathChaos. I just followed your tumblr and saw the videos of your recruitment swap hack. I was wondering what happens if characters portrait numbers don't match with the one they replaced? Like for example, Elise has many more portraits than Sakura, so what happens when the game calls for one that Sakura doesn't have? Or did you edit the text to not call for those missing portraits?

[EDIT]: Wow, I really messed up the question. Fixed it.

Last edited by Grima,

DeathChaos

Unmei wo koeru!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hey, DeathChaos. I just folloed your tumblr and saw the videos of your recruitment swap hack. I was wondering what happens if characters portrait numbers don't match with the one they replaced? Like for example, Elise has many more portraits than Elise, so what happens when the game calls for one tht Sakura doesn't have? Or did you edit the text to not call for those missing portraits?
If it calls for a non existing portrait the sprite simply does not show up, and no, I didn't edit the text at all, just swapped which portraits appear in certain parts, not much else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3