My PC-98 translation projects

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello people,

just a small thread to advertise my PC-98 translation projects a bit, as I know some of you might be interested :)

I reformated everything so it's easier to read. For screenshots and project descriptions, just click the name of the game you're interested in.

CURRENT PROJECTS

ORIGINAL TL - Alice's Cottage II (Hacking by RottenBlock & Alpharobo)

alice2_ss_00.png

Second set of this long-running fandisc series. It's mostly tied with Rance III, including no less than two side story mini-RPGs and a strip-quiz game all revolving around the game's characters and plot. But it also includes the sequel for Policeman VX, and all the usual omake stuff (user feedback, fan CG, jukebox player, AliceSoft backcatalogue...)

Production values are of course vastly superior than in Cottage 1. It's also two and a half times bigger script-wise, and there are a lot of CG edits to do. It will likely be a much bigger challenge than the first compilation, and should keep us busy for some time...

ORIGINAL TLs

GameHacking byAge ratingDateVersionDownload
Alice's CottageRottenblock & Alpharobo18+May 20241.0Here
Policewoman VXRottenblock & Alpharobo16+April 20241.0Here
Night SlaveValley Bell & Kirinn B18+February 20241.0Here
Shangrlia 2tomyun & Alpharobo18+October 20231.1Here
Exciting MilkAlpharobo & Kirinn BAll agesAugust 20231.0Here
Jewel BEM Hunter LimeAlpharobo & Kirinn B12+August 20231.1Here
Holy Girl Force Lakers IIAlpharobo & Kirinn B18+November 20221.1Here
Guynarock 2Project led by Alpharobo16+November 20221.01+Here
Holy Girl Force LakersAlpharobo & Kirinn B18+May 20221.1Here
Run Run Concertotomyun & Kirinn B18+March 20221.5Here
FOXYtomyun18+February 20221.0Here

SCRIPT PORTS

GameOriginal translationAge ratingDateVersionDownload
Rance III:The Fall of Leazas2.0 Translations18+April 20241.0Here
Toushin ToshiArunaru18+February 20241.0Here
Rance II:The rebellious maidensHGTP Translations18+Januray 20241.1Here
Rance:Quest for HikariHGTP Translations18+October 20231.1Here
Little VampireRottenBlock18+October 20231.1Here
D.P.S.(Dream Program System)velt21118+October 20231.1Here
Amy's FantasiesHimeya Soft18+December 20221.0Here
Runaway CityJAST USA18+November 20221.0Here
Season of the SakuraJAST USA18+November 2022
1.0Here
Three Sisters StoryJAST USA18+November 20221.0Here
YU-NO: A Girl that Chants Love from the Edge of the WorldTLWiki18+December 20211.04Here

Menu-only Patches

GameAge ratingDownload
Sei Shoujo Sentail Lakers III18+Here
Tamashii no Mon (PC-98)All agesHere
Tamashii no Mon (FM TOWNS)All agesHere

Improvement Patches

GameOriginal translatorAge ratingDownload
Dragon KnightRetronomicon18+Here

Last edited by BabaJeanmel,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello 😉, and congratulations on the release of the Foxy translation. For some reason this thread had gone unnoticed by me, partly because I was expecting an update to the old thread. I'll take a look at this game, but generally these older pc-98 games are very difficult and repetitive.
I eagerly await news about your other new projects, perhaps a complete translation of one of the Lakers series titles (but I'm afraid I'll be waiting in vain...🤣).

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks ! Fear not, Foxy is not a really hard game. Actually, the IA can be cheated quite easily, especially on the later missions. You can actually finish it in 4-5 hours (less if you enable no wait mode on an emulator). It's a cakewalk compared to later Elf strategy titles.

And you can already watch all the event scences except the ending from the sp disk menu, without having to play though the whole thing :)

I'll definitly return to Lakers at one point, but in the meantime I'll be working on some less text-heavy games. I've already got two current projects in the works, but won't announce anything before they're in a presentable enough state. I'm quite busy with some irl stuff atm and I don't want to generate some false hope for a fast release on either of them ^^

Reactions: Nikokaro

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Time to unveil one of my next projects, as it's about 75% complete ATM...

Run Run Kyousoukyoku (Warning: Adult Content)

FNHzAAdXIAwczy3.png

FNHzG6tXsAMVHf8.png

Another early Elf game, first released for the PC-88, then ported on the PC-98. This time, it's an action game, reminiscent of some very primitive version of Deshing Desperadoes. Except you lead a female runner team and there is a bit of strategy and resource-management involved (not to mention pathfinding for the later levels). Notable for being one of the few eroge that can actually be played in competitive 2 player mode.

It's a pretty short game , very light-hearted and silly. It's also kinda sluggish, but can become perfectly enjoyable if you boost the CPU power a bit (say 2x or 4x to make it more of a challenge).

Expect a release quite soon. The testing phase may be longer than the translation itself ^^

BTW, the next project is still in the very early phase and will require a lot more work. But the wait will be worth it :)

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I won't mess with the game data. But it will be easier to grind on emulator by enabling fast foward. Battles are automated in the PC-98 version, so the trick works nicely :)

Aristeia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Always nice to see the PC-98 getting exposure. I'm glad your translation projects are getting a boost too! I know that you post progress actively on discord (Probably the only English PC-98 community on there) but you'll definitely reach more people here.

Reactions: BabaJeanmel

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks ! I'm planning to do a little website to centralize everything, I'll let you know.
BTW, Lakers is more or less 35-40% done now. After finishing the text insertion, I think I'll send it to QC to a few testers while I work on DK3. I want to make sure the english text is clean enough before publishing it.

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just FYI I uploaded my finished patches there (oldies-retro/other oldies/games fixes & patches section) . They might be easier to find from outside this way :)

Reactions: oji

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm actively searching for a graphics editor to work on the title screen. It just needs the english title ("Holy Girl Force Lakers") to be inserted in a similar style than the original. Feel free to contact me if you're interested :)

title_original.png

EDIT: Done, here it is :)

title_02.png

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Lakers 1 in testing/proofreading phase. And actually, Lakers 2 has already begun! The same people (Anata and Kirinn B.) are involved on the graphical part and have done an awazing work, so I figured it would be nice to give you a little preview!

Menus are mostly done, all graphics have been edited, but hacking will be a bit more complicated, especially on the animation part. I'll begin to work on the script when these issues are sorted.

EDIT: Intro works! You can check it there:

Stellar

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I love the aesthetic of these pc98 games, the pixel art is beyond gorgeous and I have long since lamented a lack of translation patches for the original ROMs since I much prefer playing visual novels on portable devices.

The Asenheim Project was our best bet until now, but this is much better! I don't know what your long term plans are, but if you can keep porting existing translations to the original pc98 versions that would be incredible 🙏

Thank you for all your work so far regardless.

Reactions: BabaJeanmel

BabaJeanmel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks!

I'm not planning to do any more script ports ATM. I'm more motivated in doing new stuff from scratch.

As for my future plans, I must first release Lakers 1 (should not be too long from now, tests are going smoothly), then I'll finish Dragon Knight 3 and do Lakers 2. Then we'll see :)

Reactions: Stellar

Segger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wanna play PC-98 but they’re usually the type that I would rather play in bed or when I’m out and about. Anyone have any luck with playing them on a handheld of any sort? Playing the Phoenix Wright trilogy on DS made me this way I guess.

I was actually considering one of those anbernic handhelds specifically for running visual novels but not sure if there’s a PC-98 core available for them, if anyone has one I’d be interested in hearing if these translations run.

Thanks so much for the Yu-No translation port. That will be my first go-to since I’ve wanted to play it for a while but was always annoyed that the Windows version’s graphics are worse in my opinion to the nicely pixel dithered PC-98.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anyone have any luck with playing them on a handheld of any sort?
Of course! You can play it on PSP via Neko Project 2: it has very good compatibility, very fast gameplay and near perfect sound. In contrast with Retroarch PSP, using NP2 core, the games are too slow and unplayable.
Pictured below: Dead of the Brain, a legendary horror-VN recently translated into english, which I highly recommend.

Last edited by DinohScene,
  • Love
Reactions: Segger

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the video title is
    "We Now Have A Touch Screen And OLED Modded Game Boy Color"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On screen keys would be cool if the rubber ever fails
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I feel like at that point might as well go emulation lol
    One of those RG things
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some people just like using original hardware for the hobby point of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can easily buy replacement buttons but it's a good fall back
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    on screen keys would be cool but the gba screen is pretty tiny though :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather use emulation but it's cool regardless again the main point of the Touchscreen isn't just for buttons but for menu options
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    would be way better for menu options
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    although I have huge doubts anyone would be able to make homebrew that would give support for the touch screen
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    then again theres still people who develop games on systems as old as the nes for fun
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    (
    micromages is amazing btw)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I doubted 360 emulation would be possible
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    yet here we are seeing ps4 and even some (very experimental
    ) ps5 emulation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps5 emulation? Why
    I always thought Saturn emulation would straight up be impossible
    Just the atchiture is insanely complex
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's why it annoys me when people rant about things being impossible when it comes to software some things should just be focused on more than others
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    because they want to flex their insane developer skills ofc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We have ps5 exploits where's an article talking about ps5 emulation?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    if i wanted to play gb games on a touch screen device i would just use my phone
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    heres ps4/5
    emulation (it is far from playing actual games yet but its something) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qe71pCjC9U
    I thought PS4/5 and Xbox One emulation would be kind of easy since they basically just a PC
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    they sorta are a pc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They has dedicated on board chips that aren't tweaked like x64/x32 afaik
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They has dedicated on board chips that aren't tweaked like x64/x32 afaik