Hardware Nintendo 3DS to come with '3D control stick,' vibration

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
I think this will kick ass. Ninty are good with handhelds. Minus the DSi imo.
But I disliked the DSi because the main focus was off games - with the 3DS, the focus is back on games.
I think the problem with the 3DS will be the same problem we have now - too much shovelware.
The DSi couldve ahd so many great games suing all the tilt features it has but noo, nintendo didnt wanna risk it

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
Out of curiosity, where are these rumours coming from?
Gamecube-level graphics seem a bit ott to me.
I expect an improvement, but not to that extent.

The rumours are probably being generated by the fact Nintendo signed a deal some time ago with Nvidia for use of their Tegra technology. If the 3DS uses the Tegra 2, then it would have a few capabilities that even the Wii doesn't; and probably at least as much power as a Gamecube. Technology has come quite a ways in a relatively short time. Even the original Tegra chips would probably give it Gamecube-esque power. There seems to be a lot of speculation floating around that it's going to be the Tegra 2, which would give it power never seen in the handheld market before. Personally, that's what I'm hoping for. I'd love Nintendo to really shake things up not only in the area of what people usually call "gimmicks", but raw power as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Tegra

scribleofbaja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I think the problem with the 3DS will be the same problem we have now - too much shovelware.

I will agree with that. Though I do wonder what Warioware will be like in 3D?
Trying to pick that huge snotty bugger out of a 3D nostril, lol

It would be really neat to see more focus on some old game ideas too.
Such as, Thief and the like. Would be quite awesome!

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
Jesus... I hope that's what they're using. It'd be a big jump from the underpowered DS to a kickass-powered successor.
But won't this technology have a big impact on price?
I'm no hardware genius (obviously hehe), but that sounds like it'd cost a fair whack.
I'd hate to see it cost loads to buy, to a PSPGo-esque price.

Well, it seems either way the 3DS is using some flavour of the Tegra architecture. The question now is whether it's the original (which is still decently powerful... I think it's used in the ZuneHD, for one), or the Tegra 2, which was introduced at CES in January. I doubt the cost difference between them is so much as to dissuade Nintendo from going with the 2; considering it's reported to have at least double the performance as its predecessor. There's also this article, from November last year:

http://www.slashgear.com/tegra-2-confirmed...ources-1663572/

That supposedly confirms the Tegra 2 for the DS successor, but who knows if it's accurate or what their sources were. It also indicates that the PSP2 is going the same "four Os" route as the PS3... overpowered, overly difficult to develop for, out too late, and (probably) overpriced.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I`m really confused about what is considered to be 3D display-wise... Is it a screen, that has the ability to elevate certain object more then others (like previously seen in movies, such as Avatar or AliceIW) or is it something similar to headtracking, where graphics change depending on the position of either head or device (like seen in the upcoming DSiWare-game Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda)?

I didn`t read the whole thread so my apologies in advance, if this has already been answered or discussed.

On Topic: I think it is a great idea. Everything I heard about possible features the new DS will have seem to be great and IMO will enhance the handheld-experience quite a bit! Be it an analog-stick (hopefully not the same as the one of the PSP), accelerometer or 3D-technology.

I think many people might be critical about the accelerometer, but I think it is a great fit for a handheld and it doesn`t means, that buttons won`t be used.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope Sony does not come out a year later or more after the release called psp 3d or something like that...
mellow.gif

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xcdjy said:
QUOTE said:
something similar to headtracking, where graphics change depending on the position of either head or device (like seen in the upcoming DSiWare-game Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda)?

That's the general thought so far.
Stereoscopic 3D or something like that.

QUOTEI think many people might be critical about the accelerometer, but I think it is a great fit for a handheld and it doesn`t means, that buttons won`t be used.

Hmm, that's the thing.
When comparing this to the iPt/iPhone, the accelerometer is used as a primary control function on a lot of games, because it doesn't have buttons.
3DS has buttons (presumably).
This should make gameplay quite cool. Without overusing the accelerometer, it shouldn't feel gimmicky or lame.
But then, the microphone on the DSl wasn't used that often... and that felt pretty gimmicky.

Microphone has been great, voice chat over wifi in some games, epic
happy.gif
, thats the only good use of it.

scribleofbaja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xcdjy said:
Haha, if the 3DS is successful, it's inevitable that at least one company will attempt to copy it.
This could revolutionise handheld gaming.

Well if they are allready using this tech on cellphones, then Nintendo ripped it off. However, again
Nintendo always rights its wrongs. It will be like having that large arcade 3D system on the go and
VB all over again, but in full color and all the bells and whistles one could think of.
WiFi, BT, accelerometer, mic, camera, maybe multi touch and a few extras we might not
think of but they have. If all goes well, maybe they will pass their NDS sales
gbasp.gif

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xcdjy said:
heartgold said:
xcdjy said:
QUOTE said:
something similar to headtracking, where graphics change depending on the position of either head or device (like seen in the upcoming DSiWare-game Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda)?

QUOTEI think many people might be critical about the accelerometer, but I think it is a great fit for a handheld and it doesn`t means, that buttons won`t be used.

Hmm, that's the thing.
When comparing this to the iPt/iPhone, the accelerometer is used as a primary control function on a lot of games, because it doesn't have buttons.
This should make gameplay quite cool. Without overusing the accelerometer, it shouldn't feel gimmicky or lame.
But then, the microphone on the DSl wasn't used that often... and that felt pretty gimmicky.

happy.gif

I think that for the microphone to be put to good use, they'd have to improve their wifi service.
I'd love to see the end of friend codes.
But I don't see that happening
laugh.gif

Nintendo's too kiddy friendly =/

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
heartgold said:
xcdjy said:
heartgold said:
xcdjy said:
QUOTE said:

Hmm, that's the thing.

happy.gif

I think that for the microphone to be put to good use, they'd have to improve their wifi service.
laugh.gif

Nintendo's too kiddy friendly =/
Yep, its getting annoying because of it too.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
heartgold said:
xcdjy said:
QUOTE said:

Hmm, that's the thing.

happy.gif

laugh.gif
Even if they dont give gamertags kinda thing, one universal friend code for all of your games would rock too

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hmm - nice reading except I can see a problem

IF this 'Parallax Barrier' requires the user to be still and central for the effect to work - How on EARTH are they going to employ 'Head Tracking'

The only way I can see is IF the 'Parallax Barrier' isn't a 'fixed' slitted layer, but instead another LCD 'layer' where the 'slits' are altered slightly depending on the 'head tracking' motion

Oh hang on - While typing this up I also found this which shows that such a thing actually exists... Just imagine what this would look like on a DS !!!

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It's too bad that video of the DSiware had to get so mixed up with the new announcement from Nintendo.

Motion/head tracking doesn't seem to be the logical way for Nintendo go at this point. And that video was released long before this announcement. Nintendo just isn't going to advertise something the DSi is already capable of as the major selling-point of their next-gen handheld. Also, a lot of people play Nintendo handhelds in public... do any of you want to be waving the thing around like an idiot when your'e out on the train, or subway?

The Parallax Barrier LCDs are the likeliest move for Nintendo, and they have absolutey nothing to do with this head tracking crap.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
Is there any way or anywhere I can 'preview' or see the effects of Parallax Barrier technology (is that the right word?). Like, get a sense of what the image is like, even if not viewing it directly?

It's only been implemented in a few devices; and I'm not sure if any of them are used outside Japan. I'm pretty sure at least one cellphone uses it; but only in Japan. Sharp developed the basic technology some time ago... I'm hoping it's been refined in the time since then. The effect is probably similar to Real D, but of course not quite as advanced. The problem with getting to see a preview of what it looks like is that without an actual parallax barrier LCD display, a preview wouldn't work unless it was simulated somehow. As far as I know, there are no simulations floating around.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xcdjy said:
Is there any way or anywhere I can 'preview' or see the effects of Parallax Barrier technology (is that the right word?). Like, get a sense of what the image is like, even if not viewing it directly?
Try you tube I guess and look it up :/

D

Deleted_171835

KingVamp said:
xcdjy said:
Try you tube I guess and look it up :/
No way. You wouldn't be able to see the effects of it through a shitty Youtube video.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
xcdjy said:
Aw hell. Looks like the only way we'll see it is a simulation vid @ E3. Everything is coming down to waiting 'til E3 lol.

It's not really a true simluation of what it would look like in person, but this guy on Youtube shot a video of a monitor he apparently turned into a very rudimentary parallax barrier display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRZ59HfV2QY

Nintendo's would probably be more refined. The display in that vid started as a normal LCD, so it's probably a pretty crude example.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3